My karma ran over my dogma...

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Two lifetimes

Marshall brought her entire baby book to the game yesterday, and when I finally arrived, I was met with, “Hey, I saw you as a baby!” and “Omg you had a curly afro when you were little” etc. etc. Marshall kinda smiled and went back to putting her goalie stuff on.

See, Marshall and I were best friends as babies and on, until we were like four or five. Then she moved for a year, and when she came back, we lost touch. I’d totally forgotten about her when 10 years later, she shows up on my soccer team. It’s awkward enough that we ignore each other, though it may just be the new-team syndrome for me where I don’t talk to anyone and my game doesn’t pick up until I’m comfortable enough at around the end of the season. Anyway, we’d kinda just pretended we didn’t know each other and don’t talk to each other until Thursday practice. The team was fooling around with Pete in between drill thingies and sharing childhood stories (“I got drunk and fell down the stairs” “My sister hit me with a shovel” “I was a weird kid…” etc.) I was just listening (as usual) and Pete was like, “what about you?” to me. Marshall and I kinda look at each other and she said, “I’ll bring in photos at the Saturday game.” And I’m like “I will too.” That was the first time we’d ever acknowledged our past, and really ever said anything to each other.

It’s so weird- I have two lifetimes. Before I came to CFS, and after. It’s not really connected to CFS, just that period in my life. Before, well, there’s not really a way to describe it. I was a tomboy whose only female friends were Sony and Alanna, and hung out with the boys and played pick up soccer every day at recess. I wore “boy’s” clothes, and ran around and had fun. There are no connections to my previous life- only Sonja, and we’re pretty content to just email and see each other ever so often. That is until Marshall showed up. It is the weirdest feeling, being with her, seeing her face in Margolis’ yearbook, knowing Max knew her from soccer a long time ago, and then yesterday seeing me and her at about two years old in her album, with our chubby baby cheeks and bellies. I brought a few pictures of her going away party, where she gave me the volcano from her cake.

At CFS, there are no connections to my other life. I just really noticed that. I think I like that.

By the way, isn't that the coolest thing ever that my team has a web page! (that's the real reason I joined the team : ) go to links then team page...

3 Comments:

  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Ruthie said…

    It's mothers day, and im sitting around not doing my hw and writing my blog. how sad is that?

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Maddie said…

    Wow, you must be cool if your team has a webby. The numa numa song is so awesome. Funny, I was just listening to it earlier today.

    This is Madeline from the Thunder, by the way. :-P

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Maddie said…

    Well, I was on the U15 Storm and my school team, but both finished, so now I'm unemployed.

    Maddie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home